Friday, August 15, 2008

Baseball and Instant Replay

The Commish suggests that instant replay is coming, quite probably before the season ends. That would fit his pattern:
  1. Observe a problem that is slowly getting attention
  2. Downplay it and/or ignore it until it erupts into a major controversy
  3. Perform a knee-jerk reaction and act as rapidly as possible, without worrying about whether the approach makes sense
I do think it's a bit weird to implement in August/September; common sense says the pre-season is the place to work out the kinks in a system like this. Having said that, I've seen all kinds of resistance to the idea of instant replay in baseball, and I gotta say...I don't get it.

Risking straw-man accusations, let's take a look at some of the arguments against:

It removes the human element. I hear this one all the time, and it's by far the silliest. First of all, isn't the real human element that of, ya know, the ballplayers? They can still make mistakes; just wait until some idiot tries to slide into first base. Second of all, is preserving umpire error really a "human element" that we're going to miss? Call me after your team gets jobbed by some blind ump.

It will slow the game down. Well, sure...if it's done badly. There's no reason it has to, though; just put some rules around when it's used, what can trigger it, how long the review can take, and so on. Above all, borrow one rule from the NFL: unless there is clear evidence on the replay that the call is wrong, don't overturn it.

The ol' slippery slope. In other words, we let them use it for home run calls now, and soon it will get used for everything. Well, that's fine with me, within reason. I don't think you can easily use it for, say, fair/foul line drives: if the initial call is foul and the batter returns to the box, how could you then decide what base he should be awarded? Where it can be used, though, it should be, and yes if there's a technological way to call balls and strikes, bring it on!

A saying I've heard regarding the NFL is that the best officials are the ones you never notice. The implicit meaning there is if the officials get everything correct, they're doing their jobs and you don't notice them; you only notice when they blow a call. The NFL has long taken this far more seriously than baseball: officials are rigorously graded and the top officials are the ones chosen for the postseason. Well, the best umpires are the ones I don't notice: the ones who call balls and strikes properly and consistently, who notice whether the pivot man actually touches second base, and so on.

I want the rules of the game enforced consistently and properly. Those who don't...well, I just don't understand your thinking at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think instant replay would be a great idea. I think umps have a bit too much power, the fact that they can just make a call on a play without review kinda sucks... And.. That part about sliding into first base.. It brings back memories...

Christopher D. Heer said...

My problem isn't so much the power as it is the lack of accountability. To this day I don't believe umps are "graded" on their performance in any meaningful fashion.

I just get tired of hearing about the "human element." It's such a dopey argument.